The eyes have it : - )

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 06:10:31 MDT 2008

Garret.I have had no experience with contacts, so won't offer any opinion on
that option. I am in the quasi-trifocal camp. I don't actually have a pair
of trifocals, but several pairs of bifocal, and single vision glasses.
I usually wear:
1) Bifocals with distance vision as the main lens, and inset ground for
reading distance. My everyday set, when I'm not working at a piano or
computer.
2) Single vision for computer work (iMac on desktop, laptop as ETD while
tuning) and most piano work (tightening hammer flanges, adjusting grand
damper underlevers, etc.). Focus optimal at arms length to four feet. While
it's possible to do some of this stuff via the reading distance lens in the
above mentioned general purpose bifocal, I would spend far too much time
craning my neck around and leaning forward trying to find the right
eye-lens-focus combination.
3) Bifocals with arms length plus distance as the main lens (computer &
piano work), and inset ground for closer reading ( great for reading near
microscopic Chinese characters or threading needles).
4) Bifocal sunglasses (polarized glass) with distance (for driving), with
inset for arms length (dashboard but reading maps is a bit fuzzy).
5) Single vision distance sunglasses, for driving, walking, exercise.
Yeah, my eyes are a hassle (glasses since age of 3 due to "lazy eye", plus
bifocals onset about 15 years ago).
I did try the progressive lenses once but I couldn't stand them. I like to
move my eyes, not my whole head; not into cosmetics.
Good luck!
Patrick Draine
PS While I wrote "glass" I am of course referring to plastic lenses, old
habits die hard