hidden signatures

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Sun Jun 1 15:22:16 MDT 2008

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_6807.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 18701 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

IMG_6807.JPG

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_6802_2.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 31517 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

IMG_6802.JPG

These hammers were removed from an 1886 Hamburg model A (#58167)
being restored. I like finding hidden signatures on parts in old
pianos, and reading old parts for wht they have to say. This guy's
beautiful calligraphic flourish of "H Nebar" puts my chickenscratch
#1 to shame. The Old German text on the paper used as flange shim may
be hard to see. These hammers weren't played on that much - the
original profile is pretty much still there, with only slight wear.

Note the cloth piece by the roller. At what point did they figure out
that wasn't necessary? Also, note the number 77 at the bottom of the
flange (this on hammer number one). These numbers are completely
random in the the action, no order whatsoever. I suppose someone
numbered all the shank/flanges before the hammers were installed, and
then ignored that when they were hung? (Since the high treble shanks
are identical to the rest and not thinner, it wouldn't matter). Or am
I missing something more arcane (or obvious?). Note also the huge
chunks taken out of the corners of the flange; this was common
throughout.

Well anyway - here's to you, Hans (or Heinrich) or whoever you were.

Allen Wright, RPT
London, UK