Copyright

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Jun 1 14:32:43 MDT 2008

Oh I agree!

In all the minutae of Copyright Law, I don't mean to lose sight of the fact
that all tuners should buy their own copy of Pierce, or, in Britain, The UK
Piano Atlas (or the respective European and Japanese equivalentrs in the
relevant lands).

It looks, and is, professional to carry it with you, and I've lost count of
the number of times I've referred to my UK Piano Atlas in a customer's home.

Mind you, for late 1800s and early 1900s cheap uprights, there was such a
voluminous cottage industry of small workshops churning them out in England
that many makes are simply not listed, being too small and too
long-vanished. In those cases you have to just estimate from the design.
Mostly, too, they ought to be burnt.

Best,

David.

...and we (that is, anyone considering themselves a professional piano
technician) should all own copies of the Piecre Atlas.  It is a standard
tool.  When you finish servicing Mrs. Smith's piano and she asks you if you
know how old it is, a copy of the atlas in your hand is the thing that
enables you to answer on the spot, with some authority.

Alan Eder