Lost Motion

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Tue Jul 29 18:13:03 MDT 2008

I was practicing some regulating techniques today, and among them, regulating lost motion.

I went through my piano and threw off a few notes so I could feel the difference between too much lost motion, and not any.  I am talking about the lost motion with the jack under the hammer butt.

  I went through each key and pressed down by the capstan.  A few hammers winked, so I adjusted the capstan.  I also winked the front of the keys and I noticed a few of the backchecks winked before the hammer started moving.  I am assuming I need to get rid of that lost motion as well?

  Just checking to make sure, and thank you.

  Matthew