who pays? Lose Lose or Win Win

Garret Traylor hpp at highpointpiano.com
Wed Jul 23 05:55:41 MDT 2008

Could be too that the part was originally mislabeled?  The person was having
a bad day?  The person was new?  Take pictures of parts.  Don't get in a
hurry.  Don't unnecessarily burn bridges.

I want to believe that vendors desire to conduct good business and so I
practice offering constructive feedback.  Don't be wishy-washy when asking
for a refund or return.  If the part or item is wrong, it is wrong.  When
ordering, make it a practice to take the persons name, date, and time of
order and any other details and fax or email a PO especially if you have a
not so favorable history with the company.

Dean May is right; it is good practice to use a credit card, contact your
credit card company; they are an advocate for you.  The Better Business
Bureau may be an option too.  As I get older, I triple check my orders.
Reputable vendors will correct errors and provide an RMA (Return Merchandise
Authorization) and bear the cost of shipping.  If a vendor chooses to shaft
you they will just as easily shaft the customer without regard.  Often
constructive complaining will get the problem fixed, you will be happier,
and you likely will save others the same grief.

As a contrast, I recently had a piano manufacturer ship me the wrong
replacement pedals for a grand piano. In this case, we had a verbal order -
Piano Make, Model, and Serial Number were given.  The person taking the
order made assumptions and did not provide me with the appropriate choices
to avert the errant order.  On follow-up, I tactfully contacted accounts
receivable department, not the person I dealt with first and explained that
I had lost one billable hour attempting to install the wrong pedals their
lost time and blah, blah, blah and that we were now far beyond the cost for
the pedals and my customer was extremely upset with me and I may risk my
reputation due to this error.  The manufacturer shipped me the replacement
pedals for free and I was almost able to recoup my lost income.  This
company now has my favor.  This was a win-win situation for us.

Some years ago, after many frustrating phone calls over a warranty fee, I
told the argumentative snotty nose punk slacker parts manager from the same
company as cited above; by not making this warranty fee (the difference of
$15.00) right you risk loosing my favor and future recommendations to my
clients for piano purchases. Since that time about five years now, they have
indeed lost a lot of business from me. The snotty nose punk slacker parts
manager is no longer with the company.

Kindest Regards,

Garret

  _____