chickering quarter grand-re-scale trichords

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 21 14:43:03 MDT 2008

>     On the subject of the bass tri-chords in some of the vitage
>     Chickerings, sorry I do not know the exact models, I have one or two
>     I take care of with problems in this area. Very small gauge
>     tri-chord notes with strings breaking. The wires break sometimes mid
>     span during playing.

Mid span? That's pretty weird. What is the core break% of the
ones that break?

>     As part of a bass re-string or a more major overhaul would the
>     re-scaleing of these notes to bichord be for any reason unadviseable.

Depends on whose advice you solicit. With customer approval,
I'll eliminate wrapped trichords every time and go to bichords.

>     Also, recently someone pointed out that changing wire sizes (plain
>     wire) did not change the breaking point % of a note. After a few
>     sample problems in P-Scale I confirmed this. This was really a
>     forehead slapper for me. If this is true, bridge re-scaling is the
>     only option for changing BP %.

On plain wires, yup. You can change tension, but to change
break%, you gotta change speaking length.

Ron N