chickering quarter grand-re-scale trichords

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Jul 21 13:33:54 MDT 2008

  On the subject of the bass tri-chords in some of the vitage Chickerings, sorry I do not know the exact models, I have one or two I take care of with problems in this area. Very small gauge tri-chord notes with strings breaking. The wires break sometimes mid span during playing.
  As part of a bass re-string or a more major overhaul would the re-scaleing of these notes to bichord be for any reason unadviseable.
  Also, recently someone pointed out that changing wire sizes (plain wire) did not change the breaking point % of a note. After a few sample problems in P-Scale I confirmed this. This was really a forehead slapper for me. If this is true, bridge re-scaling is the only option for changing BP %.
  Fenton