Securing a tuning appointment with first telephone enquiry

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 15:50:48 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:57 AM, lee innocent <ljinno at googlemail.com>
wrote:

>  My ad is the first ad in the yellow pages under piano tuning.
> I get lots of people enquiring about tuning fees but do not book an
> appointment because this is the first call theyve made.
>
> I tend to give them a price and thats the end of the phone call,
> they then phone the next person in the book.
>  Apart from fee, what other points do you use to engage to build a
> conversation with the enquirer?
> In a nutshell, what is the best way to secure a tuning appointment while
> they are on the phone.
>
> Lee

Hi Lee,

I save them from making the other calls by telling them my charge is about
the average for my area, I tell them I have my wife check every so often to
make certain I'm not charging too much or too little. I can't check that
would be price fixing. I then ask them about their piano, their uses for it,
that I offer a free estimate of repairs with each new tuning. Somewhere
during the conversation I drop in that I've been doing this for 39+ years
and explain the difference between a tooner and a technician. Not all but a
good 80% book the appointment.

Mike
--
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404