Securing a tuning appointment with first telephone enquiry

Michael Kurta mkurta at roadrunner.com
Thu Jul 17 09:32:28 MDT 2008

    Lee, I'm not sure you want the customers that are fixed on price alone.  I understand your concern about losing prospective clients because of price, however in my experience those folks go through life looking for "bargains" in everything.  They have no loyalty and will go wherever the cost is lower.
    Better to be known for quality work, keeping promises made, and a personal touch than for the lowest price.  After you give them a figure, follow up by asking about their piano:  brand, age, who plays and when it was tuned last.  Establish a rapport with them indicating you are concerned about their instrument and their needs.  Once they get to know you and your work, price becomes secondary.
    Think of your doctor, dentist, attorney and other professionals.  Did you seek them out because they are cheap?  Its doubtful.  I like the old saying, "The bitter taste of a bad job lasts far longer than the sweet taste of a low price."
    Mike Kurta, RPT