Hitch Pin Replacement Question

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 09:08:51 MDT 2008

>You mentioned that you replaced only the bass and tenor section hitchpins
>with a vertical hitchpin.  Why not the whole enchilada?
>Am I corrected in surmising that the piano on which you left the treble
>hitch pins alone had rear duplexes?  If so, how did you set bearing
>combining the two techniques? What was your reasoning in keeping the rear
>duplexes?

1. It was me first opportunity for the vertical leap.
  2. Setting the treble rear duplex bearing as usual and tweaking the non-duplex
      section's down bearing is refined with vertical pins. Also the
bass bridge cap
      was replaced with a taller one to accommodate the new hitches.
  3. Reasoning...economy (those bass hitches were a bear) and not wanting
      to get too far afield. It was a customer's piano in for re-restringing and
      action regrooving (read truck-like) correcting a previous rebuild.
--

Regards,

Jon Page