Hitch Pin Replacement Question

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Jul 13 12:26:40 MDT 2008

Hi Terry and Jon:

Thanks for your answers.

Will Truitt

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Jon Page
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 10:09 AM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Hitch Pin Replacement Question

You mentioned that you replaced only the bass and tenor section hitchpins

with a vertical hitchpin.  Why not the whole enchilada?

Am I corrected in surmising that the piano on which you left the treble

hitch pins alone had rear duplexes?  If so, how did you set bearing

combining the two techniques? What was your reasoning in keeping the rear

duplexes?

1. It was me first opportunity for the vertical leap.

 2. Setting the treble rear duplex bearing as usual and tweaking the
non-duplex

     section's down bearing is refined with vertical pins. Also the bass
bridge cap

     was replaced with a taller one to accommodate the new hitches.

 3. Reasoning...economy (those bass hitches were a bear) and not wanting

     to get too far afield. It was a customer's piano in for re-restringing
and

     action regrooving (read truck-like) correcting a previous rebuild.

--

Regards,

Jon Page