Hitch Pin Replacement Question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 09:07:05 MDT 2008

I'm not Jon, but that won't stop me........  ;-)

I usually replace all hitch pins with vertical. However, sometime the client
wishes to retain the rear duplex look/whatever - not a problem. The vertical
hitches have more positive impact on the piano as ones moves down the scale
toward the bass anyway. I suspect it could easily be debated how much
benefit comes from the vertical hitch in the high treble.

I don't see why/how whether you have vertical hitches or standard would
affect target downbearing. Most rear duplexs I've worked with are only a few
millimeters tall, so that works out well for how high I would want my string
on an adjacent vertical hitch pin.

I agree with you about just whacking the old hitch pins off with a cold
chisel. Fast & easy. Then I fair the area with some fairing epoxy.

Terry Farrell