Hitch Pin Replacement Question

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 06:11:13 MDT 2008

I've done only one hitch pin replacement so far but limited to the tenor
section and bass. The tenor was easy by punching the pins out from
underneath but the bass was a problem. Trying to pull them out often
resulted in breaking them. This left a jagged surface which needed
grinding on the ones which didn't break below the plate surface.

Be prepared to go through many bits while drilling. Start smaller
and work your way up to the desired diameter.

The tenor section was drilled at an angle so I needed to force in
MarineTex paste epoxy from the bottom, let it cure and drill straight
down from the top to install vertical hitch pins.

Some of the plate risers will have to be ground for bearing clearance.
You may or may not be surprised at what factory surfacing produced,
I usually find it too high in the low tenor for a few inches on the right
side of the lower strut.

I am a fan of vertical hitch pins.
--

Regards,