Tuning a Kawai Grand RX-2

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 13:52:10 MDT 2008

>...I found that the piano was able to be stably tuned by moving the pitch up
>and down without rotating the pin to find its 'center' of torque...

Ed, this is my pin setting routine also and only requires a medium blow
and lighter in the last octave and low bass. The top string, as you put it,
needs to be a little higher tension than the speaking length to hold. This
is done by finding the center, lowering a tad and having the last motion
of the hammer pulling the tension slightly up leaving that top string at a
slightly higher tension due to the friction at the front terminations.

If the tension is lower, by simply 'coming down' to the pitch, the tension will
slip through the bearing points more easily and the unison is not as stable.

Another aspect is to lock the hammer tip on the pin. This is done by lightly
lifting the end of the hammer and moving it in the direction you want to turn
the pin which gives you a solid hold on the pin. Maintain that grip
while turning.
Lift and lock whether you're pulling up or letting down because each is a
different position of the end of the lever. There's usually some play between
the tip and the pin which is good to eliminate.
--

Regards,

Jon Page