Tuning a Kawai Grand RX-2

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 12 11:52:41 MDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
> Beckets and coils are tight, but I have not stretched the strings. This
> piano is about 9 years old and I have tuned it about 8 times, so I think
> the stability it OK. The bass and tenor are as solid as a rock. Its just a
> few unisons that go out (and not the same ones) in the treble section, no
> matter how hard I pound to set it. It usually goes out within a week.
>
> Al Guecia

If this piano is being played and you only get a few unisons going out of
tune within a week or so - my only question would be how the heck did you
get that piano so stable?

Pianos go out of tune - that's what they do best. Unless the temp and RH are
perfectly stable (and I MEAN STABLE), the lid is not opened and closed,
lights are not on and off, human bodies are not let in the same room as the
piano, etc., etc., etc. - the darn thing IS going to wander a little bit at
the very least. Someone posted about a recording piano being tuned every
day. That's pretty standard fare. I just tuned a S&S D at the local
university three times in three days because it was being used for
recitals - it wandered a tad every time.

If the owner still thinks something is wrong, ask him how often a guitar
player or violinist tunes their instruments......

Terry Farrell