Schiedmayer Grand Questions

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Sat Jul 12 00:16:26 MDT 2008

On Jul 10, 2008, David Love wrote:

> I believe those are lag bolts that extend down through the rim and
> emerge
> above the legs.  They will be accessible if you remove the legs.
> It's been
> awhile since I've done one of those but recall encountering the same
> quandary.  You don't need to cut them out.  Remove the leg and you
> should
> see a nut which can be loosened to remove the bolts.

Thanks, David - I had that "Aha!  I bet they're accessible from under
the legs " moment in the middle of the night.  In the shop today
(Fri.), before I took a leg off to find out, I checked my email, and
there was your answer.  I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think
of that sooner, and if I hadn't, your post would certainly have saved
me some unnecessary work and surely a headache!  For the next
rebuilder who comes across a Schiedmayer Pianofortefabrik grand, I'll
add that with the leg off, the tapered round nut comes off easily with
an old pair of needlenose pliers in the slots (don't stress your good
needlenose pliers, or if you do, put the tips in the slots and grasp
and turn the jaws with parallel-jaw pliers).

Thanks,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh