turning a Grand upright

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Sat Jul 12 00:36:57 MDT 2008

On Jul 11, 2008, Phil Bondi wrote:

>  Again, I fear for leg#3 without getting the piano up in the air
> first.

Hi Phil,

Randy Mangus, who sometimes contributes to this list, taught me that,
in order to protect the tail leg (#3) when tilting a grand piano up
from its vertical position, turn the wheel on leg #3 up (pointing
towards the ceiling).  If that wheel is pointed down, it will contact
the floor in an unstable configuration, and it may kick out and swivel
around suddenly as weight is added.  The stress caused by that sudden
movement (essentially, the piano tail falls about three inches during
the wheel's swiveling) can shatter the rear leg.  If the caster stem
or kingpin is fairly tight, you can just rotate the wheel up before
tilting.  If the wheel swivels freely, I rotate the wheel up, and then
secure it with blue painter's tape just to be sure.  You might already
know about this, but since you want to be careful with this operation,
I thought I'd add it.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh