turning a Grand upright

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jul 11 15:42:59 MDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Phil Bondi
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 4:03 PM
To: Newtonville
Subject: turning a Grand upright

Hi all.

Someone has moved into town, and the movers left the grand

piano on its side without a skid board.

They left it on a piece of cardboard to protect the hardwood

floor. That was nice of them.

I have an idea on how to get it set up, but I wanted to run

this by all of you first.

How would you do it?

-Phil Bondi(Fl)

PS - I will not be doing this alone.

I sent this picture out last December showing a lyre brace. Here is a very
simple brace you can make out of 1/2" threaded rod, a couple of rubber caps
and electrical conduit (rigid copper water pipe is actually a more snug fit
around the threaded rod). One end lodges between the inside of the leg top
and keybed and the other end pushes against the lyre. It makes the lyre
really solid and definitely makes the piano easier to tip on its side and
vice versa. I've set lots of pianos up this way with no problems. Use a
moving blanket folded 4 times under the lyre and it will raise it up enough
to get the final leg on.

Install legs 2&3 and lyre with braces

Add conduit brace as shown in picture

Pull down on leg 2 to start setting piano up

Maneuver folded blanket under the lyre as the  piano comes down

With piano resting on lyre, leg 3 and bass corner, walk around and left up
on bass corner

When piano goes over center you switch from lifting to pulling down on bass
corner to control descent onto leg 2

Install leg 1

Crawl under the piano on all fours, push up on the keybed with your back and
pull out the blanket.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272