FW: hammers separated from bottom of molding

MarinoPiano at aol.com MarinoPiano at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 08:34:24 MDT 2008

I think I am the expert on this, being down in south florida.  I have
encountered it many times.  When I first saw PHS (Peeling hammer syndrome)  I tried
gluing a few to see how it held.  Found this out.  If there is  an underfelt,
(Usually purple) that has to be glued first. Let Dry and then the  outer felt
glued over that.  Not enough room in the piano to properly clamp  it. A lot of
work.  I made a decision to tell anyone in the future to  re-hammer the
piano.  Have done about five sets so far.  More profit,  better job and don't have
to contend with popping or hammers that dry  mis-aligned.

Sell them a set of new hammers and don't be afraid to take a spinet action
out of the piano.  If it makes you queasy,  take the keys out  first.

Arthur Marino

In a message dated 7/10/2008 12:13:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,