key bushing miracle stuff

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 8 07:36:51 MDT 2008

Mike

No offense taken.  I appreciate everyone using their
expertise and experience to look at this from
different perspectives.  I think some valid questions
have been raised here.

Bob at Pianotech says they impregnate all their
bushing felt with VS Profelt before it goes out the
door.  I've never had a problem with their felt not
sticking, although that's different than soaking the
felt and the mortise with the stuff.

In the case of this piano, the felt was indeed simply
compressed, not gone.  (Kawai, manufactured 1987) You
could look at the balance hole and see where the pin
was; instead of a straight line on each side of the
mortise, there was a dent which formed a perfect
circle where the pin was.  It was a deep enough dent
that the keys would rock side to side.

After applying the liquid, letting it set overnight
with the caul in place, the bushings looked like new.
Putting them back on the piano, I found I didn't have
to ease any of the bushings, nor did I find any  that
were still too loose.

Of course, nothing is going to replace felt that has
been worn away.  But if it's simply compressed, like
it was on this piano, it works great.

But even if you're still concerned about glue and
silicone, try it on grand damper bushings.  Those are
usually put in without glue, are they not?

If anyone is minimally interested in using this
product, but has questions/reservations, why not call
Pianotech and ask for Bob?  He's the one who
discovered it's usefulness in restoring felt bushings,
and has been using it for this kind of application
much longer than I, and will be able to address the
concerns brought up here on the list better than I.

Even with the reservations brought up by the list
regarding the use of silicone in bushings, wouldn't
this still be of use in certain situations?  Take that
Gulbransen spinet.  The owners found it in the garage
of the home they just purchased and want to spruce it
up for Johnny's upcoming piano lessons, but they don't
want to spend too much on it.  If Johnny likes piano
lessons, they'll buy a better piano. The cabinet is
beat up and it's worth less than the cost of a new set
of key bushings.  No one in the future will ever be
rebushing the keys on this piano.

Normally, I wouldn't even consider addressing the key
bushings in this situation, but my total labor for
restoring the felt with VS Profelt would be much less
than an hour.  Remove the keys, douse the bushings,
insert the key cauls, reinstall the keys the next day,
big improvement in the piano for very little money.

Assuming that the results are not temporary, why not?

Tom Sivak