key bushing miracle stuff

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Mon Jul 7 20:41:18 MDT 2008

Tom,
    The intention of my reply to your post was not to question the
"wholeheartedness" of a trusted colleague, nor to discount the good
intentions of your post and I'm sorry if it came out that way. I was simply
trying to state some information that I have accumulated over the years in
dealing with bushings on a daily basis. Please let me try a different
approach.
     It has been my experience that  "if a set of keys needs balance rail
bushings badly, and the sharps rock back and forth big time" then they
should be replaced. Especially if you factor in the quality of cloth these
days. If the bushings are worn, they are worn. The cloth is eroded and it is
not only eroded, it is also GONE. It is not simply compressed, it is GONE.
    Lightly steaming the bushings will give the same temporary effect that
can be achieved with VS Profelt, without adding the damaging properties of
embalming the mortises with irremovable silicone.
    Silicone will impregnate the wood and prevent ANY glue from adhering to
the mortise in the future, ultimately requiring button and mortise
replacement, at great expense. Silicone is a big no no.
    It has been my experience (because I used to do it) that lightly
steaming bushings will swell them a bit and take up some slack, but again,
the cloth is not only worn and eroded, it is also gone, and the cloth will
compress back to it's worn state with some use.  Mike