need some opinions

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jul 4 10:01:16 MDT 2008

Leslie Bartlett wrote:
> I have been a tuner for a large church in town, the other tuner having
> retired.  I learned that actually was not quite the case. I have been
> sharing the tunings with another tuner in the city.  The church's
> pianist indicated some time ago she wished me to come with her and tell
> her why she "hated the Steinway"......  Well, it was tuned to 440, while
> the pipe organ was about 13 cents flat..................  So having
> fixed the disparity (not tuning the pipe organ, to be sure), the
> Steinway seemed quite more agreeable.
>
> For a major recent concert the piano was tuned by the other tuner.  I
> was called this week to "bring the piano up to pitch" because a major
> concert venue was to use it this weekend.  Here is what I found.  The
> variance was from +17 cents, to -23 cents, most of the top octave being
> 20 or more cents flat, and the low-to mid sections being mostly 6-to-ten
> cents sharp.  My typical tunings of that piano will vary as much as
> seven cents over three-four months in a worship room seating nearly
> 1000, and in which the heating/air conditioning is on/off, on/off,
> depending on whether the room is being used.
>
> I informed the pianist that I could not share such tunings with another
> tuner because it would ultimately affect the piano, and could affect the
> reputations of two tuners.   I would appreciate some opinions as to the
> veracity (or not) of my statements.  If you would "reply all", then your
> myself.  Thanks
> les bartlett
> houston

Les,
Your first mistake was compromising the tuning of the more
stable instrument to the less (possibly the least) stable.
While you may satisfy the immediate situation, when the pitch
of the organ swings wildly the other direction later in the
week, it'll be your fault. Always tune the piano at 440, with
thorough, lengthy, and oft repeated explanation as to why the
two will only be in tolerable tune together by dumb luck. The
problem is with the organ, not with the piano, and putting a
cast on your arm when it's your leg that's broken isn't a
viable approach. By tuning the piano to the organ, you make
yourself responsible for both.

As to the other tuner thing, you either take the tuning, or
you pass. You don't own the venue, and can't realistically
control this. Through the years, I've run into this quite a
bit, and currently have three or four situations where this is
still happening. Usually, it's because they are far enough
away that they will use a cheaper local guy rather than pay me
to come in for one tuning, where they call me when they want
the 5 or 20 tuned. If the local screws up the piano badly
enough to need a pitch adjustment when I come for the bulk
tuning, I charge them for it. I have certainly lost accounts
over this, but that's the way it is. Some of these lost
accounts have called me back as the cumulative effects of the
local's tender ministrations reach critical mass, and are
among the most loyal accounts I have. You do what you think is
right and reasonable, and you stick to it as long as it'll
feed you.

My take,
Ron N