Literature

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Thu Jul 3 01:11:24 MDT 2008

    I used to hand out literature, technical bulletins, etc., but I find that, for the most part, you're lucky if anybody bothers to read it.  They stuff it in the piano bench, thinking they might read it later, but they never do.  When you follow up by asking if they'd like any reconditioning, regulating, or voicing work, their answer reveals that they didn't read zip.
    Same on the roads -- people don't bother to read any more.  "Right Lane Must Turn Right" -- they disregard and charge straight ahead.  "55 MPH" -- they disregard or don't look at it at all and blast ahead at 70.  Or even 85.  "Fines Doubled for Speeding in Work Zone" -- they disregard;  fines could be quadrupled and they'd still go barreling by 20 mph over the limit.  I've seen people in the park feeding the geese right under the "Do Not Feed the Geese" sign.
    I've had piano owners ask how often their (new) piano should be tuned, which is now two years old and a half-step flat, when right in the piano bench is the owner's manual explaining why it needs more frequent tuning the first few years and how often to tune it subsequently.   Same with care of the finish.  It says right in there.  But they don't bother with reading.  Too used to movies, videos, computer screens.  God forbid they should actually read anything.  No wonder their kids never pick up a book.
    --David Nereson, RPT

    --David Nereson, RPT