Going digital?

Jonathan Best jb at bubblemusic.com
Wed Jul 2 10:36:07 MDT 2008

I've been tuning my temperament octave in C ever since I started with
Aubrey Willis's correspondence piano tuning course at age 12.  I'm 52
now.  Since moving to Prescott AZ from NYC my spinet to grand ratio
has at least doubled.  I was struggling with a really cheap console
the other day and I said to myself, "boy, this would be working a lot
better if I were doing it a major 6th higher where the strings have
less inharmonicity."  And I was wondering what it would take to learn
a new temperament technique.  But then I thought, why don't I just
download StroboSoft for my PowerBook for 80 bucks.  How can that be
anything but more precise.  I used to think that tuning the
temperament was part of the art of piano tuning.  At least the
customers must think it's magic as I play all these interesting
combinations of notes.  Or I could spend another grand and get visual
assistance for those pesky top few notes.   Anybody have experience
with StroboSoft?  The web site says it's not too reliable for the far
reaches of the piano but I would just use it for the temperament.

Jonathan

Jonathan Best
jb at bubblemusic.com
928-830-4887