Violin wood

Berley Antoine Firmin II firmin1 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 2 10:01:36 MDT 2008

Stephane,
I was wondering, if wood changes over time, does a Stradivarius, even restored, sound like it did when it was made? How would we know? I have also heard that the varnish used was tantamount to the performance of the instrument.
Does soundboard wood reach an optimum moisture content and remain there, on average, for the rest of its life? Is there another factor, such as compression of the fibres or growth rings that change it into something entirely different from its original form?

Antoine