Violin wood

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed Jul 2 06:57:13 MDT 2008

Hi Antoine.

My take on Stradivarius superior instruments goes like this :

When a violin needs restoration, the price of the restoration often exceeds
the price of a new violin.  That is why one merely only restore a violin
that proved to be superior (for whatever you choose is a good reason).  No
doubt, a violin that has been restored many times in over 200 years was a
good one to begin with.  No doubt either, that even Stradivarius had some
less lucky instruments that got quickly recycled into another shape.  But
you don’t find these unlucky instruments around nowadays.

Also, I firmly believe that, as the wood’s properties change over time (due
to aging and to playing), the acoustic behavior of the instrument does too.
This change can be in a way that is beneficial for musicality (how complex
you might imagine this is) or in a way that is detrimental to it (no, you
don’t control this; it happens without you).  It is a gambling house, and no
maker has the trick to win every time.

But of course, after 200 years, the surviving ones are the best ones (like
gladiators).

I think exactly the same way as for piano soundboards.  A good old
soundboard is exactly that : a good soundboard to begin with, and that
evolved in time in a way that is good for musicality.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.