Violin wood

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed Jul 2 12:55:55 MDT 2008

Perhaps I'm just getting old and cynical, but -- over the past 40 odd years I've
read probably a dozen news articles describing how researchers using some new
analytical tool or process have discovered the "secret" of these violins. I
can't possibly recall all of them but surely one of the most colorful was the
"discovery" that Stradivarius soaked his woods in urine.

Being neither a violinist nor a violin maker I'm not qualified to pass judgment
but several violin maker friends assure me that contemporary violin makers
making violins superior to anything that either Guarneri or Stradivarius made.
It would be sacrilege, of course, to say this publicly.

Sometimes I wonder if beauty might be most vividly beheld through the ear of the
mythmaker.

ddf

  _____