cleaning Steinway hammer rail

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Jul 1 06:24:38 MDT 2008

Steve,

The last set of rails encumbered by green goo that I cleaned I simply used Flitz.  Works very well, and as an abrasive, I think does well to really remove the verdigris.  If straight Flitz seems to be slow going and the action is really ugly, you might try a degreaser first to remove the dirt and gunk, and then go to Flitz.  IME, however, the degreaser has typically seemed like an unnecessary step to me.  When done, you can rub the rails with your choice of scotch brite for a nice satin sheen if you desire.  I've used everything from the red to the white.  All work fine.

William R. Monroe

    I'm replacing hammers, shanks, and flanges on a 1920's Steinway grand. The hammer flange bushings have a nice green color to them. When I took off the old cloth on the hammer rail, the rail is a nice bright green. Is there a good way to clean this off? What would work the best to clean it? I don't want any of this to get into the new parts. Any help would be great.

  Thanks, Steve Sandstrom