Wives tales ... violin tuning..here we go again

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Tue Jul 1 05:02:06 MDT 2008

David Ilvedson wrote:

> Perfect pitch is actually phenomenal pitch memory.   It isn't perfect,
> but still pretty interesting...glad I'm not afflicted.

Thanks David. It seems twice a year we that are afflicted
have to defend it.
This subject has been discussed here ad nauseum and then
some. The term 'perfect' is a poor choice of words,
certainly not my choice, especially when speaking to piano
technicians, who are the Gate Keepers of The Pitch..and the
last time I checked, The Pitch involves one note. Everything
after that becomes relative, depending on your device of
choice to tune..be it our own wetware or a visual aid. You
don't agree with that? That's a fact, and it would please me
to defend that fact off list with anyone who thinks
otherwise. Discussing it here, like I said, has been done
many many times before. That discussion doesn't belong here.

Send me a note with your perceptions of this wives tail.

-afflicted