Protek Seizure

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:01:28 MDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Don Mannino <donmannino at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Finally, the 'best' solution would be for the customer to by a nice new . .
> . . . . Kawai?
>
> ;-)

I really like a new K-2 vertical that I tuned recently.  Very warm and
full sound.  And one of my all-time faves is an RX-2 in a country
church.  I have a key, so I can play on it for as long as I want after
I'm done.  And I do.

But how many flanges are you talking about, Terry?  If just a couple,
maybe touch the pins with the tip of a hot soldering iron. That would
heat the pin directly, and it might loosen up around the bushing.  But
like others have said, you can repin just a couple flanges before a
soldering iron would heat up.  I guess it would depend on how many you
have and how bad the piano is.  And da budget.  <g>

My dad made one of those "zapper" thingees 15 something years ago when
that was going around.  Anyone remember those?  It was a power
transformer with DC going between a sort of crude and fairly large
tweezers.  The "tweezers" would make contact with each end of the
center pin, and heat it up so that the bushing would slightly enlarge.
   That's all I remember 'bout it -- it was before I really got
started doing much piano work.  But it worked on some old uprights
with seized up hammer flange centers.  It at least made it playable
inasmuch as an old worn-out upright can play.

--
JF

Ron Paul for President
www.ronpaul2008.com