Odd pin block

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri May 25 15:37:57 MDT 2007

At 8:41 pm +0200 25/5/07, Aras wrote:

>S&S Hamburg drills twice.
>Kaj.

Do you mean to say they drill right through with a small drill and
then right through again with the final drill?  That would be rather
unusual and I don't see the point of it.  If so, what size of drill
do they use for the first boring? I first make the marks with a sharp
punch, then use a centre drill and finally drill (right through or
not, depending on the piano) with a special (German) wrestplank drill
which has a more acute point than the jobber's drill and a faster
spiral.  If drilling a pilot hole right through would make the result
more precise, I'd do it, but I don't see that it would.  However I
would never consider using the wrestplank drill without first using
the centre drill.

--
Delacour Pianos  *  34 Station Road  *  Poole  *  Dorset  *  BH14 8UD
Phone:  01202 731031  *  Mobile: 07801 310 689  *  Fax: 0870 705 3241