Odd pin block

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri May 25 16:51:12 MDT 2007

>> S&S Hamburg drills twice.
>> Kaj.
>
> Do you mean to say they drill right through with a small drill and then
> right through again with the final drill?  That would be rather unusual
> and I don't see the point of it.

This is the first time I've heard of a manufacturer doing
this, but I've been doing it for over 20 years.

>If so, what size of drill do they use
> for the first boring? I first make the marks with a sharp punch, then
> use a centre drill and finally drill (right through or not, depending on
> the piano) with a special (German) wrestplank drill which has a more
> acute point than the jobber's drill and a faster spiral.

I use 1/4" for the first pass, and 6.8mm for the second for
2/0 pins.

>If drilling a
> pilot hole right through would make the result more precise, I'd do it,
> but I don't see that it would.

It depends on your choice of pinblock, and how often you want
to change drill bits. The softer Steinway style blocks, I'd
tend to agree, won't see much if any benefit from double
drilling to somewhere around 0.75mm under pin size. The denser
blocks, like Delignit, most definitely show better hole
uniformity with double drilling - unless you single drill with
a new, or otherwise very sharp and accurate bit. I use a
hybrid block I put together with a 9mm cap on the cheap maple
laminate block. I transfer punch the drilling location, and
hog the 1/4" bit through the block for the first pass,  paying
little attention to feed speed or bit temperature. The steam
coming off the tailings is of no concern. The second pass is
with a 6.8mm bit that I have used for many years on many
blocks without replacement or sharpening. The result is a hole
size uniformity and pin fit that I've never been able to come
close to in one pass with any bit or method. A few others on
the list have tried double drilling, on my hybrid block, or
Delignit, and have reported similar results. They also report
no obvious benefit to two passes in softer blocks.

Ron N