Steinway B Scale Conversion

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 31 17:23:19 MST 2007

David, you misunderstand me entirely.  It has nothing to do with things
you can measure. For that matter, there is much that is measurable and
many criteria to apply. I do not dispute for a second that the
measurements you take are correct.  But these have nothing to do with
what people like or dont. And they never will.  Nor would I dispute that
any customer asking you for a change in the bass / tenor transition in a
redesign job is looking for the kind of evening out you refer too. But
then they would wouldn't they ?  I would point out tho that there are
waaaayyy more folks who are not asking you to do such a job and are
quite happy with things as they are.  And there are wayyyyy more who
evidently choose instruments that do not employ these kinds of
scales...  at the moment.
Perhaps that will change as peoples tastes change... perhaps it will
not.  I dont really see that it matters.  If the situation reverses you
probably would find that those who ask for change are going the other
way... because well... people who want a change actually do... want a
change.

I agree with you about the weight of social/business inertia.  But thats
as far as I go...  Its like trying to tell me that a modern new all
steel hanging style rollercoaster is better then an old woody.  Its not
about better or worse... its about change, inovation, dynamics... all
very positive things.  Hey.. in the end I'm way more on your side then
not.  But I do take exception here and there... and thats cool too.

Cheers
RicB

    I think the social/business inertia is the main reason.  A change in the
    industry will not be driven by "enough [who] do like it".  You don't
    have to
    "buy it" but my subjective opinion is that it makes a qualitative
    improvement.  It's actually measurable.  Your own new scaling spread
    sheet
    might shed some light on the matter.  Check it out.  The change in
    tone is
    quite obvious on the original design.  I have to say that I've never
    ever,
    not even once, had a customer who asked whether or not I could
    change the
    scaling on a given piano so that the transition from the tenor to
    the bass
    would be more obvious and less of a tonal match as exists on the B.
    I have
    had quite a few who complained about it though.  The number of techs
    who are
    opting for different bass scales on these and other similar pianos
    speaks
    volumes.  The industry is always the last to know and definitely the
    last to
    respond (if they ever do).  When you are selling your inventory, why
    change?
    But that doesn't mean that there aren't improvements that can and
    should be
    made for legitimate reasons by techs willing to question the status quo.
    Gee, and I thought you were left leaning.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com