Steinway B Scale Conversion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Mar 31 13:48:01 MST 2007

I think the social/business inertia is the main reason.  A change in the
industry will not be driven by "enough [who] do like it".  You don't have to
"buy it" but my subjective opinion is that it makes a qualitative
improvement.  It's actually measurable.  Your own new scaling spread sheet
might shed some light on the matter.  Check it out.  The change in tone is
quite obvious on the original design.  I have to say that I've never ever,
not even once, had a customer who asked whether or not I could change the
scaling on a given piano so that the transition from the tenor to the bass
would be more obvious and less of a tonal match as exists on the B.  I have
had quite a few who complained about it though.  The number of techs who are
opting for different bass scales on these and other similar pianos speaks
volumes.  The industry is always the last to know and definitely the last to
respond (if they ever do).  When you are selling your inventory, why change?
But that doesn't mean that there aren't improvements that can and should be
made for legitimate reasons by techs willing to question the status quo.
Gee, and I thought you were left leaning.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com