Baldwin spinet "lost motion" issue twice in one week....

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 06:50:15 MST 2007

Esteemed colleagues,

Of all the possible jack problems that have been suggested, I've thought most of those, and tried the proper remedies.  Nada.  I should point out that the jack is pinned solidly in the flange, which is glued firmly to the wippen on both instruments.  Rick Barber's suggestion that the jack might somehow be wedged by the jack slap felt (name?) is a slim possibility.

Paul's suggestion below makes total sense.  I checked bridle wire and other parts in the nether regions for any type of conflict, but I did not check the possibility of the tape hanging up on the catcher.

I don't think the damper spoons are an issue here, but that's worth a look, too.  I thought of that, but I guess I was in denial because of the low fun factor of working on spinet damper spoons....

 Marshall, the pianos are in "decent" enough regulation so that all of the other notes work relatively well.  The not working notes are an anomaly on each of them.  I agree about Baldwins being one of the very few worthy spinets, but they're spinets nonetheless!

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net