Xylol for tuning pin bushings

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 29 15:34:53 MST 2007

I've wondered sometimes if it might be possible to simply remove the
webbing of the plate and create an open face pinblock. Plate bushings
have always seemed to me to be more trouble then they are worth. They
effectively shorten the amount of tuning pin that can be put into the
block by what... 10 mm or so ?, provide little or no support
themselves... couldnt hold a pin even slightly tighter themselves then
if they were not present... and tend to loosen and break when a pin is
backed off sometimes even 1 turn for string replacement.  Big pain in
the pattooty iyam.

I suppose tho.. if you bored out the plate bushing holes to say 12 mm
and were able  by way of some super duper glue attach delignite plugs to
the block in such a manner that the combined efforts of the glue and
plate bushing holes could actually keep them there and provide for some
semblance of a kind of pinblock extension... they might do some good.
But I doubt seriously in the end you'd end up with anything more then
regular bushings that do just what they otherwise do.

Open face pinblocks always seem stronger, more stable and easier to tune
then any other solution to me.  Your mileage probably varies... :)

Cheers
RicB

    Terry writes:

    Or, if you want to use bushings, why not just cut a bunch of
    appropriate
    diameter plugs to length (hey, maybe even cut them out of Delignit),
    ream
    plate if needed, tap bushings in (maybe a drop of glue on the
    bottom?) and
    drill them out with the same motion when drilling the pinblock. I've
    not
    ever done it that way, but I've wondered about it. Any thoughts?

    How does Yamaha do theirs - my understanding is that they do it
    differently
    than most rebuilders - they must do something akin to what I've
    described.

    Interesting.