Yamaha Shank weights

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:45:32 MST 2007

My vague recollection is that these are weighted plastic clip-ons that
one pops onto the shank. I remeber seeing them at some Yamaha class
some years back. Basically a proprietary version of the Stanwood heavy
duty paper clips (sold by Pianotek or any office supply store).
David Stanwood gave an overview talk on Strike Weight Metrology at
this week's Boston Chapter meeting; when someone asked about its usage
for upright pianos he emphasized that increasing hammer weight is
especially helpful in getting more power out of the bass section (the
paper clips being fast & effective).
Patrick Draine