Yamaha Shank weights

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 23 01:11:49 MST 2007

Hi folks

I am getting reports that Yamaha is selling something for grand pianos
called Shank Weights that are specifically for increasing touch weight.
Anybody heard of these yet ?  I'd be interested in seeing what they have
come up with.

Also... in conjunction with this, a fellow asked me if there was any
point to adding weight to vertical piano shanks / hammers in order to
increase touchweight.  Seems to me this would have minimal effect and
that there are far more effective ways of adding weight to the top
action of a vertical for this purpose, if adding weight to the top
action is what one wants to do.  He has added key weights... and it
doesnt yeild the results he wants.... so he's looking for alternatives.

Input is welcome

Thanks
RicB