Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Mar 23 07:40:26 MST 2007

The discussion on seasoning prompts me to mention a site of historical interest near
me.

I live on the coast of the River Clyde in the west of Scotland, which for many years
was one of the world's major ship buiding areas.  (In the mid-1800s half of
Britain's ships were built there).  Going by train or road to Glasgow, you can
easily see on the foreshore at the village of Langbank, many rows of wooden posts
sticking up out of the water, half buried in the sandy foreshore.  These are thought
to be the remnants of ancient timber ponds, where timber was left in the water to
season.  They are really old, of unknown antiquity in fact.  They have been there
for hundreds of years.  It would be fascinating to know just how long the ship
builders of old seasoned their timber there.

I was looking for a website with good pictures, to post a link, but I can't find one.

Best regards,

David.