"Seasoning"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 23 07:55:55 MST 2007

Soaking in brine would be seasoning to taste, wouldn't it?

As I understand it, the holding ponds at lumber mills were to
float the logs so they could be sorted and maneuvered more
easily than on land, keep them clean, and keep them from
drying out and splitting before they could be planked. After
being cut up, they can be stacked and stickered, and air/kiln
dried.

Properly done, short of damaging the wood, there is no
reported difference in dimensional stability or strength with
different drying methods.

If anyone finds out different, let me know.

Ron N