Advice on tuning techniques for recovering tendonitis sufferer

Norma Neufeld normajneufeld at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 18 22:51:41 MST 2007

Hi Robert,

I can certainly sympathize with your situation and your concerns.  I have the same condition (right arm) and have been dealing with it for almost a year now.

I can't advise you on the 'tool pushing the string' technique, but here's something else you might try.  My mentor broke his left wrist years ago and had to change his tuning style.  He plays the note, not very loud, with his left hand while tuning except for the final blow when he takes his right hand off the hammer and hits the key with his right hand.  This does not slow him down at all and his tunings are rock solid.  It may take a little practice.  :-)

A word of caution for anyone who has, or thinks they may have, tennis elbow.  Please take the time at the onset to let the arm heal completely before aggravating the injury or causing permanent damage.  Here's some excellent info from a physical therapy site  http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow

Hope this helps,

Norma Neufeld
Saskatoon, SK