Chopin's piano

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 08:40:47 MST 2007

At 11:31 PM 3/17/2007, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:
>Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
>
>One thing about these types of things amaze me though. The article's
>author implies that by playing this 150-year-old piano of Chopin,
>you can new hear the music exactly as Chopin heard it. So like this
>piano hasn't deteriorated at all in 150 years? The piano was two
>years old when Chopin was playing it. I wouldn't be surprised is a
>new Yamaha sounds more like the two-year-old Playel that a
>150-year-old Playel does. Seems pretty kooky to me.
>
>I mean really. Think about it. We've all seen original 1880s
>Steinway A1s - multiple owners, neglected, worn out, moth eaten,
>hammers of swiss cheese, etc. Now what piano would sound more like a
>new Steinway A - the worn out 1880 A1 or a new Yamaha C3? I would
>argue the C3 - 'cause it sounds like a new decent piano.
>
>Flame Suit all zipped up tight!

Dear Terry,

Before making such over-broad categorical statements, you could at
least examine the design and construction of Chopin's Pleyel and
compare it to a new Yamaha. That Yamaha - like 99.9% of pianos today
- is based on the "Steinway system" ideas of single piece bent rim
construction, overstrung bass,  fairly light cast plate. This mode of
piano construction pretty much pushed out all others by the turn of
the 20th century (notable exception - Bosendorfer still retains some
older features). Furthermore, that Yamaha has a modern
double-escapement action, felt covered hammers with rather dense
felt, high tension string scale.  I am not familiar with the
particular instrument, but I would conjecture - from my knowledge of
historical pianos - Chopin's Pleyel would be a straight-srung bass,
most likely a composite 3/4 plate butted into the pinblock,
three-piece rim jointed at the corners, much lower tension scale than
used today, a single-escapement English action, leather-covered
fairly soft felt hammers, need I continue? I can tell you from my
work with pianos of the same era - some quite nicely restored with an
eye to historical accuracy  - and from work with recently built
replicas of older pianos that:

1. Mid 19th century pianos do not now and did never sound or behave
much like modern pianos - Yamahas, Steinways, or whatever. The
success of the "Steinway system" at the Paris Expo in 1862 was  a
watershed in piano construction that greatly changed the nature of
the instrument over the next several decades (some European makers
stuck with the older models through the 19-teens -but not later).
2. While a 150 year old piano will not sound exactly like it when it
was new, much can be learned from how it sounds today about its
original character in terms of tone, sustain, repetition,
articulation, power, touchweight, etc. etc. Especially if some
historically sensitive restoration work has been done on it. While
the claims that "this is what Chopin heard" are probably exaggerated,
much of the basic character remains - and it ain't nothin' like a
modern Yamaha or anything else...

So keep your flame suit zipped, because you are way off here...

Israel Stein