Chipped keys

Jerry Cohen emailforjc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 20:05:01 MST 2007

If the front of the keys have been filed off, that leaves sharp, rather than
round corners at the front of each key.

If you have small hands and try to play a large interval, you tend to play
at the front of the key, in order to avoid striking the adjacent key. You
often glance the corner of the adjacent key, and if it is sharp, you can
easily cut the skin.

Pianists with large hands have the same problem, but only when playing even
larger intervals. IOW, the percentage is reduced with larger hands.

For this reason, I think grinding down the fronts makes the piano
unplayable, and should never be done.

Jerry Cohen, RPT

NJ Chapter