Chipped keys

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 16 13:39:39 MST 2007

Hi Alan,

I'll have to think about it a bit, to be specific, but I was paying attention to it a bit as I tuned (and later played) today.  It really does make a difference when the keys are shorter.  I'm not sure if moving the hands 1/16" closer to the fallboard, sharps, whatever is the reason, or not.  I do know that I have to play off the front of the keys for octaves, and without the lip, I have much more trouble hitting the octave cleanly.  I would assume that the principle would apply whether you have small hands or not.  Just my musings.  I do know that the change is very perceptible to me, not just a little correction.

Best,
William R. Monroe

Hi William,

Please be patient with me on this one, but I have not been able to visualize
why making the naturals effectively shorter would put players with smaller
hands at a disadvantage.  Kindly elucidate.

Thanks,

Alan Eder