Hammer shank boring jig...a neighboring hammer!

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 06:35:18 MST 2007

Liszt,

This may be no news to some of you, but some of you may find it helpful.

I had to replace a hammer on a small upright a couple of days ago because whoever broke it off decided that it would no longer be needed.  It was a relatively new piano, too.

So since I had the time, I dug through my miscellaneous hammer bag that I got years ago  from Pianotek for 10$ and found a decent match...but it was a grand hammer!  I was able to saw off the tail and make it workable.

It was F#3, and the hammer needed to go on at a pretty steep angle, plus it was pitched forward a bit.  I took G3 off to use as a model, and decided to use it as a jig.  Since there really isn't enough space between one's knuckles/drill and the model/jig, I turned the complete assembly upside down.  I was able to press the hammer heads together, and using a drill bit in my combi handle, duplicate bore and pitch pretty well by using the upside down shank as a visual guide.  It came out pretty well.  The whole thing took about 40 minutes.

Hope this helps some of you at least some of the time!

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net