Chisels

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 15 20:10:14 MST 2007

Many chisels, especially high-end chisels, have a cap on the end of the handle to protect it from damage when it is "hammered on" with a wooden maul.  To do so is legitimate for some wood carving applications, but not for bridge notching.  If you keep the tool sharp enough, there is no need to pound on it with anything, not even the heel of your palm.  With a sharp chisel, a strong forward and downward rotating thrust will do the job, even on a laminated cap.  I find the cap on the end of a chisel annoying for bridge notching.  I prefer a wood turning chisel, as used with a lathe, with the cutting tip ground to my liking.  The longer handle gives a little better control of the "scoop."

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net