Band saw risers

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 5 22:45:53 MST 2007

Hi, Bob.

I put the 6" riser block on my Delta and it works great. It's actually a
kit, because you also need to lengthen the blade guide height slider and
blade guard. Without that, you'll have way too much blade exposed, and
the guides won't be able to reach down to the table for cutting smaller
pieces. You use a blade that's 12" longer. The riser kit fits most
Delta-style saws, i.e. most 14" band saws, but ymmv. I think it costs
about $100 or so.

I don't think the pinblock material is a very good idea because, strong
as it is in compression, the saw column concentrates the load around the
perimeter of the block, and as another poster mentioned, the tension
required for good sawing puts a lot of squeeze on the riser block. Stick
with iron for this, in my opinion.

-Mark Schecter