Pianist's impression, was : What would Steinway do

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Mon Mar 5 13:32:19 MST 2007

À propos of all this talk,

I've been working at a summer music festival where I've had the pleasure
to work with many pianists from all over the world.

I remember when I was greener, I was very affected by the pianists'
feedback concerning the concert instrument at this place. I guess I was
just looking at ego gratification. Anyway, what I found interesting is
getting opposite feedback from 2 different well know pianists concerning
the same piano. One week the piano should have been discarded, the other
week it was the best Steinway that pianist had played in a long time...
Go figure.

Everything is relative in this world. I know there is no perfect piano.
A particular piano might be loved by a lot of people, but maybe a few
won't like the name on the fallboard.

I think we should be grateful to Steinway and all manufacturers that
gave us all these instruments we can improve in the rebuilding process.
And I think we should open a communication line with all of them to air
our complaints and worries, not to bitch, but for them to stay on their
guards and build the best pianos they can within the present market.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC