What would Steinway do

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 5 12:34:42 MST 2007

Aprapo all this talk about pianists attachment reasonable or not with
Steinways.

I had a very interesting experience this evening in preparing a Boston
215 for concert use with an Israeli pianist originally from the Ukrain.
She had played on one of our towns Steinways D's (Hamburg) a couple days
ago and was compared it to the Universitys CF III.  She did not like the
CF III.  As it turns out she just plain did not like Yamahas in general.
But she loved the Steinway citing the large dynamic range it allowed
for, the subtle nuances of play she could achieve.

Now I happen to know both of these instruments quite well.  The Steinway
is very poorly regulated, having been neglected for several years. Nor
is it voiced well at all. Very uneven in all registers. The action
shifts with too much accompanying noise and hammers are not alligned so
many tones do not get the proper effect when the shift pedal is engaged.
Damper stop rail is way to high... etc etc etc.  The Yamaha on the other
hand is in prime condition, nearly new and is in its best period so far
since we bought it nearly 4 years ago now.

Now this is a world class pianist we are talking about... so prejudiced
or not her opinions about pianos also carry the weight of HER vast
experience and critical expertise.  But, like us all... she is also human.

It became obvious to me quickly that there was nothing to be gained in
confronting her with some of the facts about these two pianos.
Besides... the general response picture these two instrument present ARE
quite different...even looking through as it were the regulation
problems the Steinway has.  How am I to know for sure how much of her
reaction is prejudiced based, how much is based on what overall response
picture she likes ?

I've learned through years that pianists often look way past regulation
problems that I would, from a pianotechnical perspective gawk at.  As
long as they can get good speed and repetition, and the overall response
picture they want..... hey the piano is good.  Its difficult at best to
know what to do with that fact IMHO. But I certainly have come to know
what not to do.  That the world expects a reasonable amount of diplomacy
from me is not in the end too much to ask for me thinks.

We had a very interesting discussion really all in all, and I got a good
feel for what she liked musically from pianos, and what she didnt.  She
liked the Boston btw... quite a bit really.

Cheers
RicB