Jack button punching felt

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Sun Mar 4 21:11:10 MST 2007

What is the consensus on the best felt for jack regulating button
punchings?  In my quest to be the number one source for piano felts, I
am turning my attention to this small but important detail.  We hear a
lot of noisy jacks, due to dense and/or thin felt punchings.

What is the preferred thickness?  What is the ideal density?  Hard to
measure, I know, but I have felt density sample  charts from a leading
German felt maker, and I can match up densities by comparing them to
the samples.
What other criteria are desirable?

Any input/discussion/help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com